Here are some simple things to put into action that will improve classroom managment quickly. Remember, the way you deliver a message makes all the difference in the outcome. See "key" phrases in the document below to keep you large and in charge!
- Start class, on time, at the front of the room.
- Make sure students put their books/bags/purses on the floor, off of desks and that materials are out. Check that students are facing forward and sitting properly in their seats.
- Do your best to enforce "no side conversations" consistently.
- Avoid letting students leave your class to use the bathroom or to get water during the first and last 10 minutes of class.
- Avoid reading aloud to students unless it is for a purpose like modeling. Students should be reading directions to themselves, with follow up questions from you to check for understanding.
- Do your best to head off irrelevant questions and topics, unless they could truly enhance your instruction. If you are in doubt, simply say, "Is your question related to our topic?"
- Find a way to call on many students during the class, not just the ones with their hands up.
- CONTINUE GIVING FEEDBACK about how students are following your rules, daily routines, and specific procedures. As needed, review, revamp, and/or RE-DO!