Each new school year, I look forward to hearing our leaders illuminate their visions. Superintendent of Schools for Wicomico County, Dr. Donna Hanlin, shared a powerful message at our New Teacher Breakfast this past week, and she challenged all of us to consider our motivations for teaching while empowering us to be the best we can be for our students' success. Please see her points below - as well as the inspiring video she shared.
1. Maintain your belief that there is no such thing as an "unteachable" child.
2. Think beyond the written curriculum. What produces good citizens? Good people?
3. Create a passion-driven learning environment. Take risks and learn from your mistakes.
4. Remember that relationships come first. Students need to know you believe in them.
5. Surround yourself with positive people. You can't do this alone.
6. Return the shopping cart to the rack. Be aware of the impacts of your actions on others.